Enjoy this Christmas movie trivia quiz and start thinking about Christmas movies in a whole new way.
For the most part, Christmas movies often contain an uplifting or traditional story related to the season. But movies set in Christmas – but not as seasonal films – don’t often get included on the Top 10 Christmas movie list.
That’s what this Christmas movie trivia quiz is all about.
Here are your Christmas movie trivia questions.
1. In the 1995 movie, Babe, what was the first name of the farmer, who was Babe’s owner?
2. Which Christmas movie featured the line:
“Ho, ho, but no matter. Christmas was on its way. Lovely, glorious, beautiful Christmas, upon which the entire kid year revolved”
a. How The Grinch Stole Christmas
b. Home Alone
c. A Christmas Story
d. Bad Santa
3. Bill Murray had the fortune of acting with his three brothers in the movie Scrooged. Which of the following was not his brother?
a. Brian-Doyle Murray
b. Joel Murray
c. David Murray
d. John Murray
4. Directed by Tim Burton, the movie The Nightmare Before Christmas was adapted from what?
a. A poem
b. A play
c. A game
d. A TV ad
5. What was the name of the famous song from the animation The Snowman?
a. Do You Hear What I Hear
b. Walking in the Air
c. If It Doesn’t Snow on Christmas
d. Parade of the Wooden Soldiers
6. In the movie Cast Away, Chuck’s family Christmas was interrupted by needing to go on an urgent business trip. Where was he being sent?
7. In Elf, Will Ferrell starred in the lead role. But the role was originally intended for someone else. Who?
a. Steve Carell
b. Jim Carrey
c. Tim Allen
d. Chris Rock
8. Why was Charlie Brown feeling so depressed in A Charlie Brown Christmas?
a. Felt Christmas was being commercialized
b. His friend was still in the psychiatric ward
c. Felt left out of a play he’d been asked to direct
d. Upset that his dog had been decorating without him
9. In the Finnish movie Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale, how was their Santa Claus different from the more traditional Santa?
a. His sleigh was pulled by wolves
b. He was better known by his real name
c. He punished naughty children
d. He was the marketing ploy of a food company
10. Santa Claus also appeared in which obscure science fiction movie?
11. Edward Scissorhands was set in which time period?
a. The 1960s
b. The 1970s
c. The 1950s
d. The 1980s
12. Which Christmas song opened the movie Lethal Weapon?
a. Jingle Bell Rock
b. Santa Claus is Coming to Town
c. Winter Wonderland
d. Merry Christmas Darling
13. How many separate stories appeared in the British Christmas romantic comedy Love Actually?
14. In White Christmas, what was the name of Rosemary Clooney’s character?
a. Susan Waverly
b. Doris Lenz
c. Betty Haynes
d. Emma Allen
15. Set over Christmas, the movie Trading Places had been likened to which Mark Twain novel?
a. A Horse’s Tale
b. The Prince and the Pauper
c. The American Claimant
d. The Gilded Age: A Tale of Today
16. Who directed The Polar Express?
a. Robert Zemeckis
b. Jon Favreau
c. Chris Columbus
d. Ron Howard
17. Which Santa-centric movie featured the line:
“All Neil told him was that Santa was more of a feeling. More of a state of mind than an actual person”
a. Fred Claus
b. Like Father, Like Santa
c. Santa Baby
d. The Santa Clause
18. Which best-selling Christmas toy partly inspired the movie Jingle All the Way?
a. Hot Wheels
b. Power Rangers
c. Tickle Me Elmo
19. Mogwai, the cute fluffy animal in the movie Gremlins, was a Christmas present found in which type of store?
a. An antique store
b. A book store
c. A delicatessen
d. A hardware store
20. In The Muppet Christmas Carol, which character sang the song ‘Chairman of the Board’?
a. Lew Zealand
b. Dr Bunsen Honeydew
c. Sam the Eagle
d. Rizzo the Rat
Christmas movie trivia – the answers:
1. d. Arthur / 2. c. A Christmas Story / 3. c. David Murray / 4. a. A poem / 5. b. Walking in the Air / 6. c. Malaysia / 7. b. Jim Carrey / 8. a. Felt Christmas was being commercialized / 9. c. He punished naughty children / 10. d. Brazil / 11. c. The 1950s / 12. a. Jingle Bell Rock / 13. d. 10 / 14. c. Betty Haynes / 15. b. The Prince and the Pauper / 16. a. Robert Zemeckis / 17. d. The Santa Clause / 18. b. Power Rangers / 19. a. An antique store / 20. c. Sam the Eagle.
Image: Bart Fields